Beautiful Applique

I ran off to my local quilt guild meeting Monday night. (The line from the movie, "O Brother, Where Art Thou" pops in my head about the boy's mom "running O-F-T" when I say that) Frances Calhoun was presenting her applique work and it was beautiful!


The detail in her work is just incredible! I didn't realize I had my camera in my purse until after most of her bigger quilts had been shown. But I did get a few to show you with her permission.


George, below, may have been done by machine, but most of her applique is done by hand as is all her quilting. Her mariner's stars/NY beauty type blocks are all traditionally pieced too, no paper piecing for her!


Her style is different from mine, for sure, but we both agree that "our way" is just what works for us and each of us has to find our own way.


I have had an increasing interest in applique as I think it's a great medium for creating quilts that let my quilting really shine. I'm all about the quilting!

7 comments:

  1. What beautiful work! I do a little machine applique here & there. Right now I'm in the middle of making a baby quilt but seems like I always forget something. This time I forgot to trim around the heat & bond so it just seals around the edge. It makes for a much softer piece of applique if you don't use the heat & bond solidly on the applique. Does that make sense? Anyway....lessons learned (hopefully).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense- I've read of doing that before. Is there a noticable line on the applique where the fusible stops when it is cut away?

      I limit the fusible applique to certain faster projects as I really like more dimension in my quilts. But I am a fan of glue baste.

      Frances gets so much done in a relatively short period of time for so much handwork. I'm sure I would not want to admit to her how long some of my projects take!

      Delete
  2. I love applique & this is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! Had to edit the previous comment; but couldn't. I was thanking you for sharing. I have recently found your blog and since my goal is to improve machine quilting I am now a follower. Now back to read your tutorials. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome! And welcome to the blog, it's fun to share with you and others!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful work.....I can only hope that I will be that good one day.

    ReplyDelete