Free Motion Monday Quilting Adventure: Scroll Flower Week #4

I hope you've had a chance to give scroll flower a go in the past few weeks. This is the last week for this design, so give it a good stitch out.

I was intrigued by one of Esther's drawings of this design, see it at ipatchandquilt. So I got out a sample piece (in black!) and stitched out my own take on it in a very colorful thread. I think it would be neat on a modern quilt.

Scroll flower on black

Certainly, I left quite a bit unquilted in-between the rows. I think one could nest the flowers closer together or fill in with leaves.

Linear scroll flower version

With alternating rows, this could work up quickly across a more utilitarian quilt. I must remember how hard it is for me to take good pictures of quilting on black fabric!

Linear scroll flowers

I have a thread painting project in mind for the rest of this black sandwich with black batting. I think I'm transitioning into it here......

flowers in a line

So this is our last linky for this month and this design. I hope you will link and go visiting! I am very excited about May's Free Motion Monday series! I've picked the topic/designs and I have a fabulous giveaway arranged!

If you've missed any of the Free Motion Monday posts, you can find them on the Free Motion Mondays page.

Some quick rules:

  • Keep your post relevant to this quilt along please. Spammy posts will be deleted.
  • Make sure you link up to the individual post, not your home page as nobody wants to have to search around for the post if they're a little late to the party.
  • Link back to this post somewhere in your post. You've got to dance with the one who took you to the party, so make sure you link back.
  • Don't be a wall-flower. (Talking to myself here too. In person I am so stinking shy!) Visit the other links and leave comments.
  • Please make sure you leave me a way to contact you if you are a no-reply commenter, especially if you ask a question.
  • Visit others who have linked up and be sociable!
Don't forget to bookmark this blog, follow, or sign it up in your favorite feed reader. Like the facebook page (I do post some short things on it pretty regularly), or even check out my Pinterest boards. I'll be visiting you too!

17 comments:

  1. I liked Esther's designs too. I tried her rambling rose & will work on it some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fabulous to have great company on my quilting adventures!

      Delete
  2. Love that design! I'm almost through my must-do list of quilt tops, and am looking forward to participating in the upcoming free-motion Mondays when I can finally start quilting again! (And I'm loving the rulers you recommended, btw!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this...my sewing buddy follows you as I do. she is using this pattern right now for the first time and doing wonderful quilting with it. I am def. going to use it too. thanks Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the scroll flower looks great in the variegated thread and black! I haven't tried any variations on this design yet, so this will need to be the week for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like those scroll flowers. They really pop on that black with the bright threads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good Amy. I like the thread, the black, your spacing and size of flowers.
    This is something I will keep as a reference. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Nicki- those flowers look great against the black! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love how pretty colors “pop” on black fabric. I had auditioned this thread for my Poured Out 2 quilt and knew I wanted to use it again sometime.

      Delete
  8. That is just AWESOME! I love the black background and the variegated thread. They POP! I finally got my machine back from the repairshop and hope to get some FMQ done! I have been working with the old pfaff but even though it is a wonderful machine, it has its limitations. The harp space is small and the pedal is giving me trouble. Happy to have the janome back! Yippee!
    Thank you so much for linking back to my blog!!!
    Hugs
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the multicolored thread on the black. Looks very elegant. Just starting with free motion.....so it will take a lot of practice before I will follow you and quilt on black.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The information you have posted is very useful. The sites you have referred was good. Thanks for sharing...
    west marine dog life jacket

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.
    tent stakes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Attractive, post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have liked browsing your blog posts. After all, I will surely subscribe to your feed, and I hope you will write again soon! gloves

    ReplyDelete